Friday, December 5, 2008

A Step Back Into Kindergarden

Elyse M. Fitzpatrick wrote the following in the introductory part of her book: Because He Loves Me, which is primarily focused on specifics of God's abundant ever-flowing Love for us.

"Among those who would classify themselves as serious Christians, who study the Bible and want to Please God, my guess is that the thought of revisiting the gospel seems like a step back into kindergarten.....In your pursuit of godliness, have you left Jesus behind?... What does His transforming Love mean to you today? Are you more focused on your performance for him or his for you? At the end of the day is there a rest in your soul because of him or is there guilt and a determination that tomorrow your going to "do better? Do you still need to prove your not "all that bad"? Do you get angry when people criticize you or ignore you? You know that Jesus is the door. Do you see how He is your life? Could you tell me how exactly how he has changed your life?"

Earlier in the introductory she asked a great question that I hope to better answer after I finish reading this book:

"Where did the ongoing incarnation of Jesus Christ intersect with your life yesterday?"

My mom and I are planning to go through a study together of this book, and I can not wait to get started, I've put this book off for far too long and now I'm ready to jump into the pages and soak it in! Going "back to the basics", the centrality of my belief, and letting God speak afresh to me of His overwhelming love for me, I know i will be blown away once again. I need to be reminded of His love, I tend to focus as Ms. Fitzpatrick put it above, "on my performance for him.." more often than I focus "on his for me.".

No comments: