Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Blogger Challenge

Here is a cut and paste list of Christmas Questions I was challenged to answer. I don't know why I like these things, I'm sorry I know most of you find it to be lame.. but I think its fun & insightful!


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper! I love to make my gifts look neat, plus I don't like that others can peek in bags, I'm big on surprises. Give me wrapping paper and LOTS of tape!


2. Real tree or Artificial? Real, the more fresh the better. I like to smell the beautiful pine. It gives a house a more Christmasy vibe, its crisp & homey.


3. When do you put up the tree? We try to put our tree up either right after Thanksgiving or a week after.


4. When do you take the tree down? Usually by early January.. the tree usually looks rather wilted around then, and its nice to get everything back to normal.


5. Do you like eggnog? I honestly think its disgusting, never again will I drink it!


6. Favorite gift received as a child? My Roller Blades. I spent hours upon hours on our closed in back porch pretending to be a professional ice-skater. Best gift ever.


7. Hardest person to buy for? My Mom. Don't ask me why... I have no clue, perhaps because I want her to be able to use what I buy for her and like what I bought for her. We also have contrasting styles.. so perhaps I'm daunted by the idea of picking out something I don't like that I hope she likes? or that I like that I hope she might like even though she doesn't normally? hah (She is the most grateful person in the world when receiving gifts, and she is not picky, I just happen to be picky for her. hah!)


8. Easiest person to buy for? My brothers. Easy. They always want me to buy them nifty clothes, and that is SO fun and easy for me to do!


9. Do you have a nativity scene? We have several one larger and one little wooden one.


10. Mail or email Christmas cards? MAIL! So much more personal, its something you can hold onto and have displayed in your house, on your frig... It means so much more to me if sent via mail. Much more thought goes into that.


11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A barbie. (4 years ago) What were they thinking?!!! Who knows. haha! I smiled and said thank you and gave them a hug, its the thought that counts!


12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Its a Wonderful Life. The best Christmas movie :)


13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I tend to start and end my Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving. I don't much care for the mad rush of people and untidily arranged stores.


14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, but there are several I could have. Oh how I love white Elephant gift exchanges! ;)


15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? A good cup of coffee and a homemade cinnamon bun.


16. Lights on the tree? Of course! I prefer white lights to colored lighting. Its more traditional & clean.


17. Favorite Christmas song? O Come O Come Emanuel.


18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay at home. :) stay in your night clothes until dinner. Then dress up.


19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Downer, Blitzen and Rudolf. (Who came up with these names anyways?)


20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We have an angel. But I'm not opposed to having a star.


21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning when everyone else is awake.


22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Impatient customers. I used to work in retail and I had a love/hate relationship with this time of the year in the stores. There are those people who are so sweet and accommodating and happy, then on the flip side those who you can't do anything right for... I can understand how shopping in a hectic climate all day can help to bring you to that state.


23. Favorite ornament theme or color? Our tree right now each ornament means something and has a little story to tell. :) I love this idea. I think I would myself go with a golden theme. Who knows. I can't wait to have my own house and family one day to come up with ideas for!


24. Favorite dessert for Christmas dinner? Nothing! Apple Cider?


25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A relaxed wonderful fellowship time with perhaps a few games of cards?! :)


26. Any special Christmas traditions? WE have something called the "Christmas Angel" that comes to visit us on the three days before Christmas. The Christmas Angel always leaves a Christmas book for us to read and we always read it on Christmas night together. On Christmas Eve, we go to a candlelight service together as a family, come home eat a meal called shepherd's pie and all of us kids sleep in the same room and stay up late watching movies together. Then in the morning we can't go look or get our stockings until 6 am (we are normally wakened by the two little ones). We have to wait until 7 to open our presents with our whole family. We start with the youngest and work up to the oldest and open one gift at a time. I believe that this has instilled in us greater gratitude and an enjoyment of others receiving. I'm thankful for my parents leadership in this area! Every Christmas night (of course we have a fun dinner all together with my family also) we watch Jesus of Nazareth the first half of the movie of Jesus' birth together and have a discussion about what the movie means to us, and what it was trying to communicate. We like to have a time of worship also. 

Basically I have an amazing family, filled with fun & beautiful traditions. Christmas time for us have never been about receiving its always been about giving away, like Christ. Although some of my siblings are unable to give gifts because of finances they have always given of themselves in other significant and beautiful ways. In past years they have created services coupon books for family members entitling us to things like: One free I'll make you bed day, or.... One free clean up your room.... or one coffee date out with your brother. Sometimes these are far more special to me. I love their hearts to serve!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like fun! You know, as I was reading all of your likes and dislikes, nearly all of them were mine nearly exactly EXCEPT that I like silver on the tree rather than gold *smile* Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny, Courtney, that your brothers want clothing for Christmas. I think I would hear a little griping if I bought Steve clothing for Christmas. Well, not really-- hopefully he would be a little more polite. I usually opt to get him something with the words "hydrogen" and "rocket" included" :)

Anonymous said...

You're not lame for liking these...I love them...they so random and fun.

Merry Christmas!!!