Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Look to the Hills-(Chapter I) a work in progress

If ever there had been a day that I would remember with tender affection it would be that day I found myself far away from home, in a foreign place, with unfamiliar people. I had by chance the year past found myself in a similar situation that I now found myself. In a small remote town I had never even heard of. The town was of little importance or significance or stature with no real predominate attractions it was located rather remotely between the rolling farm lands of Wheat & Corn. Nearly sixty miles away from Baltimore, Maryland is where i started my quest. It seemed an eternity to arrive as I eagerly waited with each passing turn the bus took to see our exit. As it finally came into view I watched the sun hit the ridges of the ever green hills that rolled around us. I took a breath, beautiful. My heart rate quickened as we progressed to the top of the hill. In a moment I knew that all would be revealed. Whatever lay below would play a key factor into where my life's road would lead. The hill peaked & there lay the beloved destination. "Home", I sighed. 

I quickly grabbed my sketchbook off of the empty seat next to me and carefully placed it along with the other equipment into the front sleeve of my briefcase, then stepped into the aisle and waited patiently for the other riders to exit. As I walked down the steps I turned to thank the driver and lifted my head as if to embrace a challenge, and stepped out to meet the curb.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I think your writing style is intriguing--I like it! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

This is good!

But... I'm sorry, I have to say it: It reminds me of the scene in the Sound of Music movie when Maria is arriving (by bus) at the Villa Von Trapp. I'm not sure why, either! I just half imagine the character jumping out of the bus singing, with a sketchbook in hand instead of guitar. I think it's me, not the writing, so don't worry. =)

And totally keep writing! =) I want to know what happens.

Courtney said...

;) Thank you ladies! I'm having fun allowing my imagination run wild.

Oh and The Sound of Music is a great film, love it!

Sheril B said...

Hello Miss Courtney,

I am trying this blogging thing. We are adding one to our website and I need to understand it. So, I thought that I rememebered you having one. so, here is my note--

The word "isle" should be "aisle". ha, ha. The one you spelled means island. Aisle means passageway or walkway.

I'm a grammar nerd. What can I say? Love you - Sheril