Monday, October 15, 2007

My heart weeps with those who weep....

As we were walking this past Friday night in downtown Atlanta ( we were going to see the Nickle Creek Concert at the FOX ), we being Christina, Tara and I, witnessed a man/student get hit by a car.

At first I wasn't sure how to respond, seeing the car and then the body lying a pretty good distance from the vehicle. I couldn't believe how fast life can end. One moment content happy, the next facing death, and possibly for him an eternity in hell.

My heart was breaking as I tried not to panic or faint at the sight of his blood pouring out of his back and neck and puddled around him. And as the policeman calmly and gently talked into his ear comforting peaceful words. Words to encourage him on, to continue to live to continue breathe. Gently he laid the students backpack beneath his head.

My heart was racing. Searching, questioning God and his sovereignty in that moment. Anger built within my heart towards the careless driver who hit him, who did not see him. But in an instant my anger melted. And all I could think of was where his life was headed. Would someone speak to him the truth of the Gospel? Would they lead him to the resting place of ultimate peace, ultimate satisfaction? I prayed as we finally decided to leave the scene of the accident, being that there was nothing more we could do.

My heart burdened for him, my soul crying out for a miracle of salvation in this mans life should he not already be saved by the Blood of Jesus Christ. Heavy was the load I was carrying for him, so heavy that I could barely continue to walk & think clearly.

But Tara comforted my mind with these words. "I can't dwell on this anymore. I have to leave it in the hands of God, and know that he is good and sovereign."

I have to believe that He is who He says He is in every circumstance whether it be in prosperity or in trial. I need to believe the truths of his Word in those moments, the truths of the Gospel. This is my attempt of putting that "blind faith" into action. I not only need to think I believe it, I need to vocalize it.

Once vocalizing it to myself as I stood outside the Fox Theater the burden was released. My joy regained, my hope restored.

Life is such a beautiful thing, yet sometimes it takes a instance like this for us to remember what in the end really matters in life. Its puts my life into prospective and asks the question: "Was living a life of temporary satisfaction in the end worth it?". When all is said and done what really matters most in life

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my, what a shocking experience. His grace is enough, always enough... Praise God!

Anonymous said...

As I read your post tears of shock came to my eyes. So offten i forget how preciouse life truly is! And that so many who die don't know the love of the saviour.