Saturday, January 24, 2009

Look to the Hills (Chapter 2) Pt. 1

"Oh why excuse me!" the lady exiting Mrs. Hobb's office, exclaiming her apologies. "Oh, not a problem" I mumbled back to her, a nervous quiver in my voice. 

I peaked my head around the door, and faced a simply furnished room with cream walls, an elderly woman, her hair wiry & unkept, perched behind a large mahogany desk typing away on what it seemed to be a keyboard, cluttered with sorted papers and bills. I cleared my throat as the door shut behind me.

"Beg your pardon, but can you point me in the location of Mrs. Hobbs in the Admissions Department?". This caught the attention of the old lady as she pulled down the spectacles that were propped up on the edge of her nose, laid them on the desk and lifted her head. "Well you've come to the right place, that would be me." She said with a rather aged & husky voice. 

"Oh... well" I fumbled my words seemingly unable to communicate & hardly able to formulate my own thoughts. "I'm Cindy Clemmons.. I'm here for that assistant administrative position. Dr. Hendrix is a good friend of my families and he said that position was being held for me?"

"Why oh yes!" She exclaimed with warmth of feeling & clarity of understanding, then, getting up from her desk to grab my hand in a friendly embrace. "I've heard quite a deal of you and your accomplishments" I met her hand with an equal amount of decor & warmth as she continued, "I'm looking forward to observing you in future days and hope that you will make an easy adjustment to our ways here." 

1 comment:

Jesse P. said...

Courtney,

Hey, I got your question on the Mission:X website about whether or not folks who don't live in Florida will be required to take part in the training day.

Can you send me your email address? Mine is jessephillips@metrolife.org

We are going through the applications this week and making some team assignments, and I'll see what kind of representation we have from out of the state, and make a decision about what we want to do.

Thanks!
Jesse Phillips